High barrier films are flexible materials that keep out other elements like light, air, and water from entering or leaving the packaging of a product. Applications for flexible packaging that use high-barrier films include- Bags and Pouches,Bulk packaging,Web creation and lidding.All films have some degree of permeability, but high-barrier film provides a number of benefits above conventional, single-layered films. For instance, these movies provide having the option to include value-added elements like resealable zippers and sliders,increased machining rates,
Strength and heat tolerance improvements as a result of ongoing substrate developments.
Here are some of the benefits and tips of barrier films and they are as follows:-
- In order to extend the shelf life of personal care products, prevent breakage, and maintain the active ingredients without the use of additional preservatives, barrier films are widely employed in their packaging. Packaging Films Manufacturers all over the world are creating high barrier films that give contained items features for oxygen barrier, moisture barrier, and aroma retention. Over the next three years, there is a strong likelihood that barrier films for packaging will be made from smart materials and bio-based materials. One must know about the benefits well before deciding the use and buy barrier films for their purposes.
- Protection Packaging Prevents Bad ThingsThe fact that barrier packaging stops contaminants from passing through is its most crucial component. This component can include barrier bags, films, labels, and more. This is crucial for edible commodities because external forces can quickly damage them. Unwanted water or excessive air exposure are only two examples of factors that might lead to damaged goods that are unpleasant and unhealthy for consumers to consume. This not only hurts your customers but also has dangerous effects on you as a manufacturer, as we’ll address in a moment.
- Products like pharmaceuticals, food, or cosmetics are vulnerable to deterioration when exposed to oxygen, chemicals, or external gases. Barrier films shield these products from harm in the following ways such as:-These are created from a material called polypropylene, which is particularly renowned for having strong chemical resistance.These films also exhibit a strong seal that keeps out air moisture and gases like oxygen, which would otherwise degrade the contents inside.
- When compared to polyester films, BOPP-based barrier films often have a density of close to 0.90 g/m, which results in a higher yield at a similar price and makes them very cost-effective.
- Contrary to popular belief, BOPP-based barrier films encourage recycling and reuse (pouches with zip locks or spouts). Many times and at a reasonable cost, these films can be recycled. Additionally, it uses less energy to produce.
- Food packaging solutions must include barrier films, especially when using thin plastic-based goods. It’s crucial to choose the proper kind of film for your particular application because the efficiency of barrier films is a key component of food packaging’s overall success. Several factors need to be taken into account in order to do this. The oxygen transfer rate (OTR), which measures how much oxygen can move through a film, should be taken into account first. The less oxygen present, the better for most food packaging applications, hence high barrier films are a common selection.
High barrier films are adaptable and dependable, and demand for them in the food packaging sector is rising quickly. There are several different high barrier films on the market, and each one has special advantages for different kinds of food products. For example, the highly flexible ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) barrier film, which may be used as a substrate or as an independent packaging material, is perfect for packing fish, poultry, and meat.